Thursday, January 1, 2015

#1

http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/dream-song-1

What they actually did, to Henry, perhaps will show up in this long progression of poems, and what “they” means will become clear. It doesn’t matter yet. But the thought they thought they could do it? There’s the issue. Before the outrage happens, before the hurt endured by one Henry after another in the world arises, the extravagant arrogance of power imagines it first. Imagines an action and won’t imagine the consequences, or does imagine consequence and rationalizes it away, or just doesn’t care. That’s the appalling state of things that Berryman invokes, right off the bat. We still see it everywhere, in outrages as diverse as that Kentucky mountain blown to smithereens for the coal inside, or that bank deemed “too big to fail”, the tyrant assumes power, this Black Site is established, that Senator sponsors a bill written for him by a conservative think tank, those jobs of half the town are shipped to India, this piece of information is attacked or buried if it’s thought to threaten the stockholders’ profits. There’s a long, long—long—list of this kind of thing that could follow. The marvels and grace of the world compensate, but an outrage can march into some everyman Henry's orbit, and often it destroys people.
            I’ve known of this poem since I was twenty-three, yet I have to confess now that this first one is making me nervous. I’m going to immerse myself in this kind of thing for a year? Really? Comfortable as I am, ensconced in all my privilege? I’ve been reading the news the last couple years, though, and it bothers me enough and puts me sometimes in a bad enough mood that I’m feeling it’s time to try and make something of it. And I don’t forget that I’m vulnerable too, like Henry was, and it scares me. I’m looking to Berryman for some guidance, maybe, although he was overcome by the end. He drank to excess and eventually ended his own life. Nothing to that extent, but I’ve hid the day and sulked, and it can make me wicked and away. I’m a good artist, I can write, I have places to go and the company of dear friends where I can find peace, I believe that my abilities as a teacher have never been better. This all means something. But the news keeps coming. It’s a wonder, all right, the world can bear & be. But Berryman here is right: this Henry character should have come out and talked.
            I’m thinking of Faulkner’s Nobel Prize acceptance speech, as depressing a thing as you’ll ever read, most of it: “Our tragedy today is a general and universal physical fear so long sustained by now that we can even bear it. There are no longer problems of the spirit. There is only the question: When will I be blown up?” (Or when will I be thrown in the street? Or how long till we all fry together in the warming climate?) Faulkner claims, though, that humans won’t just endure all the evils they heap upon themselves, they’ll prevail over them “because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart.” We’ll see if any hearts get lifted. But I guess all I’m saying here at first, is that even if only a few friends, through nothing more than a sense of duty, listen, I intend to come out and talk.

1 comment: