Friday, March 6, 2015

#65

http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/john-berryman/3597

This Dream Song is okay because for today there isn’t too much of despair, debauchery, alcoholism, etc. Some whiskey, “tastes like California / but is Kentucky.” We make some fine whiskey in Kentucky, which is great if you don’t go getting blinded on it. But, this time it looks more like the warm whiskey is triggering nostalgia and memories on a wintery night, immobile with a damaged ankle. Hey, I get as perturbed with the phonies of the world, and down on myself, as the next guy. It drives me some, too. But it’s nice to give it a rest now and then, and Christmas season is perfect for that. Memories of California, driving to Big Sur, a hot spa bath somewhere.

“Striding Edge” is a sharp ridge-top on Mt. Helvellyn in the Lake District of northern England, where it seems B. must have visited when he was 22. If there’s a downer side of this poem it’s about aging, which we all lament. I do, a little, except that I’m happier now by a long shot than I was in my early twenties. Still, does Striding Edge block the sky as it did when he hiked it, back when he was 22? Likely so, but broken-ankled Henry won’t know it, aging, not up to mountain climbing anymore, and overall not well anyway. Is it better to look back on your youth and realize you’ll never do again what you did so easily then? Or to look back and regret that you didn’t do anything much, and now never will? Rhetorical question. Melancholy nostalgia beats regret. Better yet to keep looking forward.

I had a talk with a colleague today, Jeff, about B. and this whole project. Not everyone likes John Berryman’s work, turns, out! He does. But we agree that for some it must be an acquired taste, if anything, like a strong, raw rye whiskey. (My dad told me once, “No one likes his first dry martini.” My reponse: “Then why drink a second one?”) He also thought that maybe The Dream Songs, in their fractured hopelessness, appeal in some way to a younger sensibility. My first reading of Gravity’s Rainbow was all about being tickled by that novel’s mad, brilliant, and adolescent smart-ass inventiveness. It wasn’t until my 3rd time through, in a doctoral-level seminar with Tom LeClair, that the real impact of that novel hit home. I’m in awe of it now. It’s a great book, but I acknowledge that it’s probably not for everybody. Same with these Dream Songs.

Some of The Dream Songs are bigger and more profound than others. No surprise there. This one is smaller, with a touch of cozy melancholy about it (Miller’s odd-colored box aside), laid up alone at Christmas, thinking back on younger days. The bourbon would be a warm touch too, except, well, he shoulda laid off the bourbon. Not my call at this point. It’s cold and snowy here too, and not being an alcoholic myself, I’m content with a modest measure of good Four Roses here in front of the fire and thinking back on some of the great backpacking trips I’ve gone on. Linville Gorge and Eagle Creek, both in North Carolina, Strawberry Creek in Montana, flowing painful cold through the snowy July mountains, where the brush, the trees overhead, and the piles and piles of branches made for tough casting, but once the fly found the water the cutthroats were eager to please. Now that was a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment