Sunday, March 8, 2015

#67

http://www.eliteskills.com/analysis_poetry/Dream_Song_67_I_dont_operate_often_When_I_do_by_John_Berryman_analysis.php

Not much time for blogging today. Off to Eastern Kentucky with the Christian Appalachian Project to help repair houses. I’ll post this week if time and Internet connections permit. If not, I’ll catch up when I get back.

I know that the notion of service is not of paramount importance to a lot of people, and that’s okay. There are lots of ways to better the world, and being an artist is one of them, and one of the most important, I think. But I have found that helping people who can’t afford to repair their houses does pull one’s attention away from one’s own burbling cauldron of self-obsession. Maybe that’s not a good thing if that’s the motor that drives you.

The first 77 Dream Songs were published together in the first volume, and I’ll be closing in on that at the end next week. That would be a place to stop if that’s what I want to do. But I know that the second volume, His Toy, His Dream, His Rest, while it goes on too long, these poems also move away from the self-obsession that has been a little too distressingly evident on occasion up to this point. There’s a lot of good stuff there. So, I’ll stay with this project for now, as long as I keep enjoying the process, which I have so far.

And, I’ve been collecting readers from all over the world! The number of people stopping by averages about 35 a day, on the weekends closer to 80. To that regular reader in Indonesia: Welcome! Saya harap Anda menikmati proyek ini! 

I’m off…

No comments:

Post a Comment