Monday, May 4, 2015

#124

http://www.eliteskills.com/analysis_poetry/Dream_Song_124_Behold_I_bring_you_tidings_of_great_joy_by_John_Berryman_analysis.php

“Couvade” is the ritual of an “expectant” father sequestering himself as his wife is due to give birth, pantomiming the birth process, mimicking a response to the birth pangs, and even sometimes (reportedly) actually experiencing them. It has been reported in cultures worldwide, though in our culture we don’t hear much about it. Perhaps it’s because fathers are often present at births now, though in B.’s time that was less common. In his day, you had an ersatz, comic form of couvade in the stereotype of the nervous father pacing up and down the hospital hallways, making a nuisance of himself, probably smoking nonstop and pulling now and then from a flask of bourbon tucked in his pocket. There are still reports of sympathetic pregnancies on the parts of fathers, of course. I know women who scoff openly, derisively, at such nonsense, so maybe it’s best to let that sleeping dog lie. Sympathetic psychosomatic hysteria be damned!

Here’s my version of the perfect Hell: Stuff an infinite lineup of freezers with meat, have Mephistopheles throw the switch on an Infernal power outage, and a week or so later, give me the task of cleaning them out, one by one for eternity, while an endless loop of Frank Sinatra tunes blare from fuzzed-out tinny speakers overhead. Sure, the stench of the rotting meat would be bad enough, but it’s Ol’ Blue Eyes that has this rendition of Perdition making my flesh crawl even as I imagine it. I simply do not get why everybody thinks he’s so all-fired great. I’ve always thought Sinatra was a total phony-baloney. The Rat Pack mystique does nothing for me. But I think my conception of Sinatra really got poisoned by the film I stumbled into one Saturday afternoon, that was just playing to itself on TV in the background until it caught my attention. The film was called Lady in Cement. Sinatra’s character, Tony Rome, a hard-boiled detective, is scuba diving in search of sunken treasure when he happens on a beautiful dead blond woman under the water, in a bikini, of course, drowned and with her feet encased in cement. This begins some sort of search for the perpetrators, and organized crime is somehow implicated, on and on—cretinous bullshit of the cheapest order. It’s the one scene that I actually stopped and watched before I switched the set off that got me. A nude model, posing in an artist’s studio. She needs a bathroom break. “Johnny, I gotta go to the bathroom.” “Shut up and sit still,” says the artist. “But Johnny, I gotta go to the bathroom!” On like that for too long, until finally it’s Sinatra who gives her permission to get off the stool and visit the ladies room. It may be the most sordid, the most infuriating thing I’ve ever seen in a film. The misogynistic derision is pretty obvious, and I’ve run into individuals in my life with all manner of variation on the same attitude. What especially insults my sensibility is that this was put to film.

Mistakes get made in the decision process of corporate filmmaking all the time. This was no mistake. This was consistent and symptomatic of a deep, culturally embedded, institutionalized misogyny. It didn’t even have anything to do with the plot. It was a scene of gratuitous humiliation of a female character. It has its predecessors. My wife used to like Doris Day movies when she was a kid, but when we watched them again, we were stunned by the messages all of them carry: The perky, spunky blonde, like some precocious child, eventually always gets shown her place, and if it takes Rock Hudson to put her over his knee and spank her, then so much the better.

Lady in Cement has been relegated to the dumpster of our cultural history, at least, where it belongs. It was made in 1968. It’s a bad movie. I wouldn’t even want to recycle it. No one watches Doris Day movies anymore, for the same reasons. These films pick up on and express something that, in retrospect, has to appear shameful. We have other cultural shames in our past, and Berryman comes down sometimes on the defensible side of them. DS 10, for example, is such a great comment on one of those cultural disgraces, and it’s the kind of thing that has kept me going. He walks a fine line on race in other ways, but let’s keep that at bay.

This one—I don’t know. It begins with “I bring you tidings of great joy” which is of course from the Gospel of Luke, spoken by the angels announcing Jesus’s birth to the shepherds. I wonder if B. isn’t rather quoting Linus from the Charlie Brown Christmas special, but no matter. Either way, the meaning is clear enough. (Linus’s reading of Luke is among the most beautiful and moving moments American television has ever produced anyway.) B.’s son has been born. (In real life, his son was born in 1956, and his daughters in 1962 and 1965, so I think the poem might be a dream. Also, no matter.) But the key line in the first stanza: “Henry is delivered.” My first reaction? Uh-oh. You’ve got to be kidding me. Does this not seem like a bit of an egocentric pronouncement? Henry has been delivered? Of what? Well, okay, he’s worried about his wife and baby, and when they’re pronounced safe and healthy, there’s a relief involved. Me: Not quite buying it here. But I do get the second stanza—fathers as ancillary to the birth process, a bit player. I was present when my son was born, and except for him by and by, I was the only male in the delivery room. Two doctors, three or four nurses running in and out, mom, and the prevailing atmosphere from all these busy professional women presiding over a very difficult birth was, You may stay here, but keep the hell out of the way. Well, no problem with that. I was completely out of my depth and sensible enough to admit it. They all handled the crisis like the pros they were. Finally they handed me my newborn son, I looked into his face and thought, Oh my God! It’s my Aunt Lola!

It’s the third stanza here that takes such a weird turn. Henry has made it through his own egotistical (seems to me) couvade; it’s egotistical because it places emphasis on him. The couvade can possibly be seen as a sympathetic response to labor, but I rather think it’s a means of focusing everything that accompanies birth—struggle, pain, and especially the accolades that follow a successful birth—onto the father, at the expense of the mother. And that falls right in line with the misogyny I’ve been worrying about. John Stuart Mill wrote an essay called “On the Subjection of Women” where he wonders what has given rise to the subjugation of women. He thinks about men’s early response to women through their mothers and writes, “He sees that she is superior to him, and believes that, notwithstanding her superiority, he is entitled to command and she is bound to obey. What must be the effect on his character, of this lesson?” Men are thrown into an existential bind from the beginning, according to him. And the observance of the elemental importance of childbirth later on only reinforces the bind. In other words, everything in my world shows me that women are to be subject to my command, yet my observations seem to show that she is superior in many important ways. The response to the conundrum is to resent that which causes it. I think there are probably some issues with Mills’s thesis, but give him some credit. He wrote that in 1856. One would like to think that by 1966, or so, some progress in questioning the root-level assumptions that Mills makes, and that carry forward, might have been undertaken. Not yet for everybody. The growing pressure of feminism, a revolution of sorts, as I touched on a day or two ago, would give rise to a counter-pressure. Humiliate her. Do violence. But don’t let her think she’s getting her way. And in the case of this couvade business, steal her thunder. Take the accolades and make them yours, not because you deserve them, but because you think you should deserve them.

And the castrating business, and prying the severed “dongs” along with her teeth from her mouth with a crowbar? Whew. That’s difficult, difficult stuff to contemplate. Well, at least the agony of the couvade is better than that other ritual he comes up with, where women will, you know, do that thing they’ll do if you just relax long enough to let them…

Oh, horse hockey! Why even mention it? I got fed up with the castration business before, and who on earth are these people anyway who are so insecure in their manhood that they fear castration and do violence as a kind of pre-emptive defense against the fantasies they’re so terrified of?

It’s bigger than our intrepid, cowering poet, I’ll say that much. Kerouac’s On the Road is full of condescension toward women, a few of Hemingway’s utterances, like “The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber”, are inexcusable, and the post-war literary landscape, especially, is full of this stuff. And then there’s Hollywood. And the Rat Pack. It’s the counterforce, in action, isn’t it? Eventually, feminism in its next wave made some strides, and I hope I can say that it has influenced my conception for the better regarding what it means to have been born a man. So, I have trouble seeing this poem as anything other than a shining monument, one of many similar cultural artifacts, to a broad, deep, male-gendered cowardice.

No comments:

Post a Comment