Sunday, May 31, 2015

#151

[No online link available.]

Another uncomplicated, and seemingly (to me) unpoetic report on the death of Delmore Schwartz. It’s a sad story, truly, alone, ill, mentally unstable, and B. was obviously devastated by the whole thing, enough to write twelve poems about it. But rather than participate in the grief over his demise, which spoke quite clearly to the poet who might just have been worrying about a similar end, let’s be honest, we’ll instead celebrate Schwartz’s work with another look at one of his poems. They’ve been quite interesting so far. We’ll see what comes of it.

“In the Green Morning, Now, Once More”
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/238114

Do we not all have a childhood memory, or a few, that embodies “The merry, the musical, / The jolly, the magical, / The feast, the feast of feasts, the festival”? Here’s one of mine: It was 1968, on the very last day of 4th grade. It was a Field Day celebration. We spent the day outside, playing games, or free to roam around the school grounds doing what we pleased. I was sitting somewhere, alone for the moment, enjoying the perfect early summer weather, and actually thinking to myself that the weather was so perfect and pleasant, and the tone of the school, the teachers and my classmates, and my mood such, that I would always remember this day. And it turns out I have. A second grade girl sat next to me and we talked for a long time, I don’t remember what about. I just remember her yellow-blond hair, how pretty she was, and being content that with all swing sets, ball games and tag games, the quaint carnival attractions the teachers and older kids had set up, the ice cream and lemonade, that she was most content to sit with me on a concrete parking curb and chat about whatever was on her mind. That’s all. I felt too old at 9 to properly have a crush on a girl of 7, so that stayed under wraps. But it was otherwise exactly right and I remember it. An elegant and happy summer day, fresh and hopeful. The summer that followed was a great one, though with no girls involved whatsoever. Horses, caves, barns, cornfields, cows, bicycles, treehouses, creeks, ponds and fishing, butterflies, abandoned buildings to explore—heaven. Maybe the memory of that day keeps shining because the hope in summer it portended came to such ripe fruition.

Like with everyone, I guess, the sky descended too, eventually. Cares, bullying, failures, growth and awkward change, sadness and loss, shame, unrequited love and unfulfilled desires, the familiar distressing litany of growing up. The conventional take, exactly as with the poem yesterday, is that as we grow and the sky descends, we leave the freshness of a perfect Field Day behind forever. Schwartz doesn’t see it that way: The perfect days follow and grow with us. And you know what, Berryman? If you lose sight of that, it’s because you’re not looking. Maybe something, booze or an enduring distress, have made you blind and stopped you cold. For all their maniacal energy, there is a torpor evident in The Dream Songs too. Schwartz has a poem titled “Baudelaire,” which I read and didn’t choose here, because I’m not in an inviting mood at the moment for laziness, lack of motion, and the damnation that follows. And Charles Baudelaire, whose great book is titled Lest Fleurs du Mal (The Flowers of Evil), is all about exactly that. My good friend, Fr. John, told me not long ago that sin is lack of movement. Maybe I’ll look at “Baudelaire” tomorrow. Schwartz here claims that there is only the feeling, in the midst of all the dark falling, of freshness. It’s not as positive a statement as I would like: only the feeling can be read as less than the full presence of fragrance, freshness, birth and beginning; it’s a feeling, but in the end you only get birthed once. But I’m not fully convinced, either in my experience of life or my reading of the poem. You get rebirthed all the time! It's there in the title: Once more. Pay attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment