Monday, May 11, 2015

#131

http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/john-berryman/5640

I’ll set you on fire along with our babies? Well, he doesn’t mean it literally. This is coming from the depths of some intense emotion, images of fire resolving into images of water. Maybe he is insane, but all artists are a bit, maybe. He took it and ran with it. Let pass from me this cup—daughters, children, are a draw on our energy and emotions. They give back more than they cost, but for the infirm, the insane, there may not be much to invest.

But I have other things on my mind today, and it’s my blog. We’re at the beach in North Carolina, and here is the poem I wrote today after a long walk on a gale-force day.

A  Leak in the Ocean

Sometimes it’s enough to just be there
For a moment. A gale from the south
Pushes stinging waves of sand
Raindrops crack against my hood
Like June bugs on a windshield.
Still, this empty beach beckons.
No sensible human dares
Venture out on a day like this,
Leaving the shore to hunkering gulls,
Willets and sandpipers probing the wet
Sand. But so often the correct
Decision is to turn from a warm
Cottage, calm and strawberries waiting,
And let a fierce Atlantic gale
Have you. Boiling and roaring swings
The ceaseless surf, its sticky molecules
Of life coalescing forms of foam
The wind scatters. A bluefish jumps,
Then others, a school of silver nightmare
The croakers and spots, the weakfish and drums
Shrink in terror from in whatever dreams
Their maker has descend on the roiling
Bubbles and currents of sleep offered
Such gentle fishes in the surf.
I stand buffeted, alone,
With wind and leaping fish, violent
Water, the wind-savaged gulls
Who don’t care that I open my trunks.
Salt for the salt sea, organic
And lively as the ocean brine,
The gale vaporizes the drops
That add their moisture to the spray
Bathing the bluefish who jump then blow
Away, amazed, maybe, that the thin
Windy storm is more potent
Today than the compressed mad
Maelstrom from which they spring.
The wind pushes north up the beach.
Rain soaks the atmosphere, and I know
Why the blues are jumping: Their limits
Have broken down. Churning sky
And storming crashes of gray water
Confuse the elemental differences
Till the ocean foams with bubbles
And the air is driven with the storm’s
Wild water and that warm trickle
I leaked in the mix. If fish
Can fly today, then I might breath
Their element as well, head
Beneath the waves and chase the croakers
One last terror to consider
Before they sink amongst the broken
Shells. But blues’ teeth are sharp.
I’ll keep to the streaming sand, safe
From voracious bluefish gnashing the surf.

KZ

No comments:

Post a Comment