Sunday, June 21, 2015

#172

http://allpoetry.com/Dream-Song-172

Sylvia Plath is of course the famous and much-loved poet/suicide, and it’s pretty obvious that her suicidal example is infiltrating the mind of B. here, “though the screams of orphaned children fix me anew”—a pretty powerful statement about the hold that love and responsibility can have on people. I can’t help noting something else, though, the inclusion of the narrative voice of “stricken Henry with his sisters & brothers / suddenly gone pauses to wonder why he / alone breasts the wronging tide.” It’s about the inclusion of the self with the pantheon of famous and accomplished poets who seem to be one-by-one passing away. Perhaps calling him on this isn’t fair, since his awards, accolades, and the literary social circles he moved in must have planted some awareness of a legacy through his work. But he certainly invested a lot in that legacy and investment in it crops up all the time in the poems, that the legacy of the work is the overall point of his life beyond momentary struggle for relief from his torments. In the meantime the life itself is a shambles, in spite of his occasional attempts to wrest things back onto the straight and narrow. Alcohol addiction is a bad addiction, though, a notoriously difficult one to shake

Sylvia Plath was found dead with her head in an oven, the infamous and terrible image of the desperate woman crawling away from her life—away from her literary success, her family, all the accolades and accomplishments, all the satisfactions waiting if she had found a way to pull through. She didn’t though, and that’s that. Once it’s over, it’s over. From the vantage of some sixty years later, her literary reputation has thrived, to the extent that I’ve always seen her as one of the figures that young writers have to deal with. Hemingway is another. That was the case with me at any rate. I do have trouble fathoming, in Berryman’s case, how the abstract and notoriously fickle continuance of reputation, in which he seems to be investing so much of his ego, compensates for an actual life and its actual satisfactions. The answer, I guess, is that the life was screwed up anyway, damaged beyond repair before it ever really even got started, so a reputation that has some chance of enduring arises as compensation as much as anything.

For Plath, the mental illness and the depression that came with being alive amounted to torment. It’s expressed in frank terms in “Lady Lazarus,” http://www.sylviaplathforum.com/ll.html one of the poems that nearly every young romantic English major stews over, sometimes obsessively, in my case at 3 and 4 am, crouched under an umbrella in the rain, sitting on a low stone wall in Belleview Park, looking over the spectacular and terrifying spectacle of a great city laid out at my feet. Fortunately for me, the depression and bewilderment that are often parts of life, or parts of one particular stage of life, never swelled close to the level of needing to check out. But I remember looking out and being astonished at the insensible callousness, the coldness of it all. That’s a state of mind that depression can bring one to. In my case, I also recognized it as a bit of a pose. So here’s another college-era poem that deals with depression and self-dramatization. It’s all a game, until you act on it. Then it’s not a game anymore, and in fact you realize it never was.

The Prowler 

“I'm a prowler,”
I lie, “I walk the sleeping
streets at night with my hands  
in my pockets.” I say this, devising
the illusion of a lonely soul—
a romantic who pursues
his elusive spirit along corridors
of quietly humming street-
lamps, among deserted city parks.
I state this with a twist
of regret, knowing well
that I'm happy enough. Until
I find myself in fact
walking the dark
avenues, past empty fenced-
in diamonds, and notice
how familiar it all seems.
I've come here before, under
lamp colonnades, seeking
a way past this creation.

KZ

So, an artifact from a long-ago state of mind, but I feel okay looking back on it from here because there’s a level of self-awareness in the guy that you don’t necessarily expect from anyone that young, or from anyone at all for that matter. This poem arrived in a single flash, I got up from my brooding 3 a.m. seat in the rainy park, went straight home and wrote it down quickly, then went to bed.

David Wojahn has a terrific article about Berryman, published in Blackbird, and he has this to say about suicide and reputation, Berryman’s suicide, and Ann Sexton’s almost inconceivable attitude towards Plath’s death:

Suicide, from a bridge of all things: now there was a career move. And remember, the sixties were scarcely over; these were the waning days of existentialism, of live-fast-and-die-young, when suicide and early death possessed a cachet that they hadn’t had since the days of the Romantics. Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, James Dean and Plath: they were the new Chattertons and Young Werthers. Self-destruction was hip, and it even had its protocols, not as elaborate as those for hari-kiri, but nearly as ritualized. Anne Sexton, who would end her own life shortly after Berryman, reacted to the death of Plath with a horrifying competitiveness. As Sexton biographer Diane Middlebrook writes,

Sexton was frank about her anger with Plath for having “stolen” the finale Sexton planned for her own career. “That death was mine!” Sexton told her doctor. Suicide was a glamorous death, for an artist; the world would now pay more serious attention to Plath’s poetry than was otherwise conceivable. . . . More, Sexton knew that her own suicide, whenever it occurred, would seem like a copycat act. This seemed unfair to Sexton, since she was older than Plath.

Well. My point, and Wojahn’s here, is that suicide as a career move was in play. It seems crazy, and it’s natural to condemn it. But it seems to be part of the mid-century artist’s kit, for good or bad. “Glamorous”: What a word for it! I was raised Catholic, and I hear at every baptism, and every renewal of baptismal vows that arise in church now and then, about one’s promise to reject “the glamor of evil.” It’s an easy step to turn this around and generate “the evil of glamor.” If suicide is accomplished in service of glamor, then isn’t it perhaps evil as well? I don’t know Sexton’s poetry well, but I find her response to Plath’s suicide at least repugnant. Sorry, I just do. If B. is being seduced by such stuff, which it seems like, then woe to him. But I would maintain that his attitude toward it is more complicated than Sexton’s. (I’ll probably have to take her on and study her life and work now. More on her, then, at some future date.) Plath seems to be much more genuine in her suffering and her death, if that makes sense and doesn’t come off as too callous.

Depression and suicide are not happy concepts to deal with, especially on a bright, lush mid-June Sunday morning, Father’s Day, with my family here giving me presents and cooking for me, and with lots of promise not only in the day ahead but in life in general. But in learning about what’s what in life, back when, and struggling with it, I visited the states of mind that B. is engaging with in this poem, and that Plath was overcome by. For me it was silliness, and I knew it, but young and silly coexist naturally. It’s okay. Berryman eventually was overcome, like Plath. It wasn’t a pose for Plath, and it wasn’t a game, and it wasn’t a romantic phase some bright young twerp was flirting with. It was real, and it killed her. Berryman? Same thing, but not so fast…. In either case, dead is dead. Suicide is tragic if there’s anything but a stretching for glamorous attention involved. I’ll try to remember to give the guy a break. He may have engaged in self-dramatization, but you can’t read The Dream Songs and deny they arise out of a real measure genuine suffering. A sober reflection, and a measure of grief if they or their work mean anything to at all, seems appropriate to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment