Wednesday, July 8, 2015

#189

[No online link available.]

The Dream Songs look to be progressively sliding into less ambitious territory. Instead of “life, friends, is boring,” or “incredible panic rules,” Civil Rights or the Cold War, art and fame, this one is about snow, the wife and daughter away in Iowa, the car won’t start in the cold, the speaker is home alone and snowed in and stir crazy. In verse. Life, friends, is boring. At least, he’s saying, he didn’t actually have to go to Iowa, which would have made matters even worse. Snotty dismissals of Iowa are so easy, though, especially for a someone posing as a literati sophisticate.

Here’s what we have to riff on today: Iowa. Snow and ice. Being home alone and missing loved ones. Winter and cold. Boredom. Iowa.

I don’t have much experience with Iowa. When I was a kid, our several family vacations out West usually featured Des Moines as the first stop after driving all day from Ohio. Here’s what I remember of Des Moines: “Hey, kids, there’s Drake University.” A college-looking building with a tower, a tree-studded lawn, college-age people walking around and lying in the grass, some with books. That’s it. A restaurant called The Smorgastable, where at eleven years old I ate so much fried chicken I was in genuine distress and pain and was actually, seriously worried I had injured myself. Lots of cornfield once on the road again. That’s it. I know a writer from Iowa who writes brilliant, dryly hilarious essays about his life and childhood there. I read, and have taught six or seven times, Jane Smiley’s A Thousand Acres, a tremendous novel that peels away the conservative rural Iowan orthodoxy and finds something very, very dark underlying the whole society. It’s an A+ of a novel, one of the recent American greats. The uniforms of the University of Iowa’s football team are patterned after the Pittsburgh Steelers, which makes me like them less, though I will admit Pittsburgh has one of the best NFL uniforms. No matter, we hates the Steelers forever, Precious. U of I shouldn’t emulate them. Then there’s the famed Iowa Writer’s Workshop at the University of Iowa, which recalls for me a subtle touch of resentment since they rejected my application. No matter that either, Indiana University’s MFA program was an experience that made all the difference for me, and I’m quite content now that I didn’t get into Iowa.

That’s about it. Anything else? The St. Louis arch is in St. Louis, which is in Missouri, so that shouldn’t count. Kansas has lots of wheat, and Arrowhead Stadium, a great stadium where the Chiefs play—except it’s in Kansas City, Missouri, too, now that I think of it, but either way that wouldn’t count because neither Kansas nor Missouri are in Iowa. Nebraska, I seem to recall, has these great buttes and Chimney Rock and lots of sagebrush. Doesn’t count because it’s not Iowa either, it’s Nebraska. My brother and I climbed all the way up the cone at the lower end of Chimney Rock all the way to the base of the big chimney-looking formation, then squatted and slid down on our shoes. It was a wild, fast and dangerous blast. Dad never knew it until he got his Ectachrome slides developed once we were home, and there we were, up there at the base of Chimney Rock in our bright t-shirts. But of course, like I say, Chimney Rock is in Nebraska. I don’t remember having even driven through Oklahoma, sure-enough cowboy and Indian country, but I must have, but that wouldn’t count anyway because it’s Oklahoma, not Iowa. There surely must be some Indian people living in Iowa, but any cowboys are there by mistake, strays. Nope, that’s about it. I can now add this dull and pointless poem, Dream Song #189 by John Berryman, to my scant mental repository of Iowa-themed clutter, though the whole point of it is that the speaker didn’t actually have to go to Iowa, which I take was a mercy for him. I doubt that’s fair, but who knows? Iowa is a scarcely populated mental region for me, like that empty area of space NASA pointed the Hubble Telescope at.

Turns out there was a lot more going on there than they ever expected. Iowa is probably like that too if you look hard enough and your telescope, pointed from, say, Kentucky, has enough magnificational power. Better yet would be to go there, walk around amongst the galaxies and get to know them. There’s probably something going on no one outside of Iowa knows about.

It’s raining hard, and I’m housebound myself today, with my wife’s car in the shop so she took mine. I sympathize with B. in this poem, to be honest. Thoughts of Iowa arrive most naturally on this most blah of summer days, though even blah days in summer are a gift. I’m heading outside anyway. But as for thoughts of Iowa, the rain and loneliness do seem to encourage them. It’s funny how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment