Saturday, July 25, 2015

#206

https://books.google.com/books?id=2o9-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA206&dq=only+after+ledgering,+endless+ledgering+206&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMI3vLC4Mj2xgIVxpmACh1NtgBk#v=onepage&q=only%20after%20ledgering%2C%20endless%20ledgering%20206&f=false

Reminds me that too often poets and scholars often have other poets and scholars solely in mind as their audience. Perhaps a handful of fawning graduate lickspittles. American crowds once gathered at the docks when they got news a shipment of Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s latest book of poetry was due to arrive. But I suspect this snippet of powerful emotional pathos and drama wouldn’t have attracted much of a throng at the Brooklyn wharf: “because he would not take / the Platonic argument beyond what was necessary / to establish the text”—dig those italics, eh! Well, it matters to a scholar, and perhaps the odd literary/philosophical sycophant is swooning somewhere. It’s true I’ve had these kinds of arguments in graduate study classes and in the company of my writers’ group friends and colleagues, so I should tone it down. Not sure verse is the best way to put the argument forward though.

That’s enough on that. This opens up a self-indulgent free day! Here are just a few of the things on my mind these days:

--Monarch butterfly populations are down to 57 million from over a billion just a decade ago. That’s about a 95% drop if my quick calculation is correct. Corporate agriculture feels the best way to safeguard its business model is to wipe out the insect world, and it is being frighteningly efficient at it through new, incredibly powerful insecticides. This protects short-term profits, but it is long-term suicide, plain and simple. This is also what’s killing honeybees, and if those continue crashing, then the quality of our diets and lives will take a sharp and abrupt turn downward. You can count on it.

--The ebony jewelwing damselfly has entered my consciousness as one of the prettiest creatures flying. It’s not only the bright metallic blue and green body, it’s the delightful way they flit and dance when they’re on the wing. You find them along woodsy creeks and rivers, amidst the shady undergrowth, though they have a charming habit of perching in the only spot of sunshine available, the better to sparkle by in the humid gloom, I believe. We took a dank, sweaty, buggy walk through the woods along a creek the other day and saw many, there like always, but more than ever now I notice them. The latent Platonic existence of the jewelwing has taken form through the triggering of my attention. They’ve always been there, but now they’ve arrived.

--Gun violence continues in America unabated, and people continue dying in the most senseless ways. The culture that has been politically cultivated—rage, along with the unlimited access to all manner of guns—is incredibly destructive. The NRA is a villainous organization. Flat and simple, they are villains, and most of their members, of not louts and villains themselves, are dupes.

--Too many house finches on the bird feeder. But they’re innocent, and they’re hungry. I’d rather they moved on, but I’m not going to start picking them off with a BB gun or something ruthless and coldhearted like that. We get exactly these other birds: goldfinch, cardinal, tufted titmouse, downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, white-breasted nuthatch, chipping sparrow, Carolina chickadee. No others. The house finches will show up in a flock, though, and just sit there and drain the feeder. But the others shoulder in, and it can get pretty lively. Ruby-throat hummingbirds on the nectar feeder, though the honeybees sometimes swarm it and keep the hummers off. Robins out on the yard like always, a house-wren twittering always. Mockingbirds come to our yard all day to hunt the grasshoppers down in the lower part, but it’s all about quiet business and groceries for them. They don’t sing here. Their singing area is a block away. Crows in the woods, polite and well-behaved until a hawk or owl shows up, then there’s trouble. Chimney swifts always at dusk, a hundred feet up chasing bugs. A couple English sparrows out front that are eating the mortar from out between the bricks on the porch railing. They’ve actually broken through in a couple spots and we’ll have to have the porch tuck-pointed next year. The little pests are at it constantly. They go in back and visit the feeder only rarely, though.

--Not too many deer this year. We’ve protected the plants we want them staying clear of with little panty-hose pouches of Irish Spring soap, and we squirt them with a deer-repellent mixture of hot peppers, eggs and garlic. It really works, but I think the yard must stink so bad to them that they’re steering clear. Last year we saw deer in the yard 5 times a week. This summer, it’s more like once every other week. I always like seeing them though.

--Lazarus lizards. Some kid in the 1950s brought home a paper sack of wall lizards after his summer vacation in Italy (his family owned the Lazarus dept. store chain). He let them go in his yard. He brought another batch home a year or two later from Spain, a different subspecies of the same critter. They hybridized, and they now inhabit every wall and stone outcropping in the Cincinnati area. They’re spreading slowly, but they still haven’t gotten not too far away from Cincinnati yet. They moved in on us a couple years ago and we got to know the few of them out there. Now they’ve reproduced and the yard has gotten pretty lively with hundreds of tiny Lazarus lizards. We’re on the lookout for some garter snakes, which should calm things down once they get established.

--John Berryman’s Dream Songs, but anyone reading this knows that. I blog every day about these poems. The writing itself is never a burden, any more than brushing my teeth or showering is a burden. Some days are better than others as far as the material, which runs the full range from inspiring and electric to torpid and pointless. I’m pretty much sick of John Berryman at this point, though the ideas in his work just keep coming, and that’s fun. I knew this project would range widely, and it has. I’m finally convinced of something teachers and real writers have always told me: Writers don’t write from flashes of prior inspiration. That’s backwards. Writing itself generates the inspiration. If nothing else comes of this blog, that lesson will make an incredible difference to me going forward, and it will still have been worth it.

--Various extended-family dramas that I won’t mention here. Life for us in this house is good, and we’re dealing fairly well with whatever circumstances throw at us.

--I was under anesthesia back in mid-June to have a troublesome wisdom tooth removed. While anesthesia is one of the absolute blessings of modern medicine, it’s not benign. It took me six weeks to recover from the lingering physical fatigue it caused. I had to remember that it was the drug, not my age that was making me feel so tired. The last couple days have been quite peppy, and I can now contemplate a hike with a backpack again. I read Cheryl Strayed’s Wild to celebrate. I liked it, and while it doesn’t make me want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (me and altitude have trouble seeing eye to eye) I could see doing the Appalachian Trail some day. My life doesn’t have room for that, but maybe when I retire, if I have strength and body enough left for it. My brother is planning on doing the full length of New Zealand’s answer to these 1000-mile+ trails when he retires in a couple years.

--I only have four items on my bucket list: 1) Do a loop in an open cockpit biplane. 2) Pet a tiger, lion, leopard, jaguar, or cougar. 3) Climb up the ratlines to the maintop of a square-rigged ship under full sail. 4) Scuba dive with a whale. I’ve done #1, which was an absolute hoot, and the best birthday present I ever got. #s 2 & 4 seem doable, and I’ll begin taking action. #3—I don’t know how to go about it. This occupies more of my brain clutter than it probably should.

--I had a novel under way, which languished for awhile, and is starting now to reassert itself. I’ve been productive as a writer this year—almost 40 poems is very respectable. But if fiction is coming, then I have to accommodate it, because I get physically sick if I don’t. I may have to start getting even more productive here soon.

--I’m teaching a summer class, the senior capstone, about transportation, oil, and cities. Had a good, respectful and worthwhile, but somewhat tense, class discussion about climate change the other day, featuring a student who could not or would not acknowledge that anthropogenic climate change is a real thing. Hopefully the lecture that followed on the science of climate change helped open up new avenues in his opinion-making. But as we also tactfully noted in class, climate change denial is not predicated on climate science. Something both political and psychological is at work. It may not have mattered.

--There’s more. Yard projects. Taking on piano and re-engaging with my guitar. New semester looming. I’m getting older, but life is good. I feel like things are in an opening phase, not the closing-down that one sometimes imagines as a result of aging. Day by day, month by month, bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment