Thursday, October 22, 2015

#295




A love poem from a guy who sounds like he isn’t able to help himself get along day to day. Without Kate helping with his everyday issues like bills, money, cabled communications, bank tellers, as he says, he’d have jumped in the Liffey and sank long ago. There is a reference to the Op. Posth. Dream Songs, 78-91, where Henry is dead and speaking from the grave as his body decays away. They’re very strange, and if I didn’t catch the metaphoric connection between decay and alcoholism when I first wrote in response to them, I do now. And the last one, when he gets out finally but then tries to dig his way back down one night, is hilarious. At any rate, Kate is keeping tabs on the growing book too, looks like. His secretary and helpmeet. Still haven’t quite figured that one out, unless the clear neediness of her husband satisfied something of the caretaker in her.

It’s a nice little poem, with not a lot of complexity. There is an erotic double entendre there, with the “little soft wet holes” intimating that there’s something going on there other than just gardening. It’s so intimate, actually, that maybe we shouldn’t be talking about it even now. Isn’t that the kind of thing couples keep to themselves? Oh well. I have to admit that it’s a little squirmy but I don’ t hate it. Her earthiness comes through as beautiful here. It’s essentialist too, but I don’t think anybody even coined that term for another decade or so. Let it go.

I hope when she read this they had a nice night together. Turn off the light…

1 comment:

  1. "I'm doing all this crap for you Mr Poet. You'd better write at least one nice one about me!"

    ReplyDelete