Monday, April 13, 2015

#103

http://allpoetry.com/Dream-Song-103:-I-consider-a-song-will-be-as-humming-bird

Well, here with under four weeks to go until commencement, I’m feeling the annual end-of-spring-semester doldrums, and I’m groggy from a brief but sweaty nap to boot. So I’m feeling simpatico with Henry’s touch of self-doubt and his lapse of inspiration. This Dream Song was written on New Year’s Eve, as 1960 rolled into 1961, as far away now in the past as King Henry VIII or Brachiosaurus, it’s all the same. I was 2 years old. I actually have a couple memories from that near that age, but they’re not relevant here. I have no memory of the 1500s, so maybe those two ages are different after all. And, no, time doesn’t run backwards, but it’s a cool enough poetic project to imagine so.

One thing Henry has going for him is that he is “desired.” I have friends and family, and I’m grateful for that, but word from the farthest West hasn’t spread much on my account. But perhaps with diligence that’s not yet out of reach. I just want to be a working writer, like him, write books and stuff. I will keep singing, for what it’s worth. I would like my poems to be fresh as bread, still as a cat in a window, a crow in the snow.

It’s a nice Dream Song. I don’t like all of them. This one is human and approachable, there’s a melancholy about it, and I’m down with melancholy. Joni Mitchell wrote that there’s comfort in melancholy. New Year’s Eve is supposed to be a party moment, a celebration of the new, but I’ve never gone with that, and clearly Henry wasn’t in that mode on his New Year’s Eve either. Quiet gatherings at home are best. I feel that melancholy in new beginnings. Rather than New Year, spring right now is in incipient mid-April flower and coming on fast. An April spring and New Year’s Eve are two of the beginning moments in the yearly cycle. (The new school year in late August is the third.) Eliot claims that April is the cruelest month, but that’s mean. But the breeding of lilacs out of dead ground, conventionally la-la time, does have this sad underbelly. Like when you look at a newborn baby and think, don’t worry about it for now, Sweetheart, but you started dying today. Enjoy your span, that’s all. Make something of it.

I’m outside on the front porch, the light is just balanced between blue twilight and gold lamplight flickering on up and down the street. The traffic noise rises and falls, and it just went full quiet in its ebb. No clattering air conditioners yet. Robins are squabbling in the silence, and there are assorted others songs and chirps. There is rain in the warm humid air; a quilt of gray clouds is oozing forward. The irises I planted last fall are pushing upward. Irises care nothing for melancholy. The rain is pushing a breeze forward, that just this moment arrived. Time to go inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment