Thursday, April 2, 2015

#92 Room 231: the forth week

http://www.eliteskills.com/analysis_poetry/Dream_Song_92_Room_231_the_fourth_week_by_John_Berryman_analysis.php

This begins Book V of The Dream Songs. It begins with a sort of Ode to Ill Health. I’m pretty sure I detect another nod to Sylvia Plath’s work, in this case, “Tulips”. Plath’s poem is about being and feeling small and like nothing, in a hospital room. Then the tulips encroach, like eyes, like little devouring mouths:

            And I see myself, flat, ridiculous, a cut-paper shadow
            Between the eye of the sun and the eyes of the tulips,
            And I have no face, I have wanted to efface myself.
  The vivid tulips eat my oxygen.

Yikes. The poem describes that feeling of helplessness that comes after surgery (she wrote the poem while in the hospital for an appendectomy, which came right after a miscarriage). The physical malaise of recovery ties into a pretty bleak emotional state as well, so that the gift of tulips becomes this weighty, intrusive presence and a constant reminder of ill health.

            Before they came the air was calm enough,
Coming and going, breath by breath, without any fuss.
            Then the tulips filled it up like a loud noise.
Now the air snags and eddies round them the way a river
            Snags and eddies round a sunken rust-red engine.
            They concentrate my attention, that was happy
            Playing and resting without committing itself.
 
The walls, also, seem to be warming themselves.
The tulips should be behind bars like dangerous animals;
They are opening like the mouth of some great African cat,
            And I am aware of my heart: it opens and closes
Its bowl of red blooms out of sheer love of me.
The water I taste is warm and salt, like the sea,
And comes from a country far away as health.

I like that poem, although like so much of Plath, it’s not very comforting. I had back spasms a couple weeks ago, just from a small injury in the right spot (healed up already, thankfully), so I’m still close to the universal experience of how pain drags you down. Pain and illness are consequences of having a body, but knowledge that one will heal or recover permits patience and acceptance. Once, after an operation, and having been asleep all day, I knew I wouldn’t sleep that night. I had the nurse turn out the lights, I couldn’t move, and I lay there in the dark on my back all night, wide awake. I had been dreading it, but it actually ended up peaceful and pleasant. Every bit like Plath’s resting without committing. Nowhere to go, permission to plan or accomplish nothing, just lie quietly and let the body do its repair work. For one night, it was a gift. It would get old, and eventually maddening, if it were to go on very long, more than a single night or two. The chronic illness that B. is wrestling with—self-inflicted through substance abuse, but that doesn’t matter—and the chronic illness and pain so many people are forced to endure makes for a different and tougher situation. People overcome it, but it takes an effort of mind and spirit to relegate the body’s signals to the background. Maybe I’m wrong and the way forward is to accept and embrace the body’s suffering. I don’t know. For Berryman, it’s a chronic emotional wound that prompts abuse of the whole person, body and spirit. His intellect stays intact and is functioning at a high level, but everything else seems sick or wounded.

This poem is so akin to Plath’s, and the references seem so clear, that I’m confident B. must have had “Tulips” in mind. It takes one step past where “Tulips” ends, though. For Plath, health is a distant, unreachable country. She’s nowhere near it. Here in DS 92, “Henry mars / this surface of an Earth or other”—he’s present in the neighborhood of the ideal Earth of health, but his presence on it is destructive of it. He doesn’t live there, either, he simply marches over it, almost certainly a forced march, crashing his way through and leaving poems behind like grotesque, muddy footprints over the walks and the meadows and the fine carpets.

No comments:

Post a Comment