Wednesday, April 22, 2015

#112

http://www.everseradio.com/dream-song-112-by-john-berryman/

There’s not much worse of a feeling than when you realize that you let down a person you care about. I don’t have access to the specifics on this, but I can pretty much tell you what happened: On his wife’s birthday, B. was drunk, or somehow otherwise incapacitated, and the greetings, cake and presents, the expressions of love and appreciation appropriate to the occasion, well they “clung to the roof / I mean of my mouth.” Meaning they didn’t get out and as far as she knows never existed in the first place, and he found himself sleeping out in the dog house. If you love someone, and fail this way, the guilt and shame are tough things to haul around for the couple days after when they’re on you like anvils in a backpack. (I’m just conjecturing. This has never happened to me.) A poem in apology is meant to help ease the awkwardness and hurt. Apology poems are pathetic little things, though, and they’re usually miserably inadequate. Asking art to address specific sociopolitical conditions and fix them is bad enough. Art isn’t meant for that, though it can occasionally fulfill that goal. This is worse and is almost always a failure.

I wrote an apology poem once. I even subtitled it: “An Apology.” This grew out of the embarrassment of dropping the F-bomb in a committee meeting once, which you’re not really supposed to do. Even though it was attached to a discussion about environmental outrage, which we all were in tune over, I was embarrassed. Nobody else cared, and if they did at all, I’ve been forgiven—I think. But it was a moment where I had to look inwardly and make a little bit of a fucking adjustment. Here’s the poem.

One other thing. I posted this sonnet on this blog once, in response to #31. I just neglected to mention that it’s really more an apology poem than an environmental fury poem. So here it is again in this more forthcoming context. It’s one of my favorites of my poems, though it does have that pathetic little apology poem drawback. I tried to overcome that with a good measure of righteous fury. (One of my best poet friends didn’t like this one, but she was wrong.)

Only One Word (An Apology)

I watch the great green mountains disappear.
Arctic wells nose down like roots, drilled
So tankers slide through melting ice, filled
With oil, and oil, and oil, and oil. I hear
The frackers’ injections, that crack shale
Till burning gasses rise like burning wind.
The green of hillside forest cut and skinned
Away, blasted, scraped, sickly, and pale.
Murder burns the language used to fit
My thoughts to word, when forms bubble like spit
From a dusty throat, like gas from shattered grounds,
And superegoistic caution sounds
Like shame: Puts finger to lips and warns me to quit…
Goes quiet...(…shush…)…but there’s only one word for…(…shhh…)…it…
 
KZ

No comments:

Post a Comment