Thursday, September 17, 2015

#259



Another meditation on Randall Jarrell, really a discussion with his ghost. The whole poem is a meditation on suicide. While there may have been doubt about whether Jarrell’s death was really a suicide, B. certainly understood it as such. He knew what had been going on with Jarrell and where Jarrell’s head was at. That’s what’s behind “You went like Pier to another fate,” which is a reference to Pier della Vigna, in Dante’s Inferno, who appears to Dante and Virgil in the circle of Hell where the suicides are imprisoned, immobile, as gnarled, thorny trees. Harpies come along fairly often and break their limbs off. The limbs grow back just so the Harpies can break them off again. A rough way to spend eternity. Pier della Vigna was a real person, and in life was falsely accused of trying to poison the king, so he was imprisoned for a year, chained like a dog, and his eyes were gouged out. He killed himself in front of the king himself, who had finally come to face him after the year of softening up, to accuse him in person and find out for himself what really went down, but Della Vigna was so humiliated by his accusation and the state he had been tormented into that he committed suicide by bashing his own head against the stone pavement until he broke his skull open. I don’t know, maybe I’m just a sentimentalist, but it seems kind of unfair to me for Dante to consign della Vigna to Hell with all the other suicides on that basis alone. But rules are rules. Under absolutely no circumstances are you to commit suicide under the rule of Medieval theocracy, and if you do, there is hell to pay. I’m fairly certain that della Vigna’s first-hand understanding of what was waiting for him in the days and possibly years to come, chained up in that dungeon, was way worse than anything Dante was able to dish out in his imagining of Hell. But I don’t mean to make a joke out of the torment the poor guy really did suffer some 850 years ago. Unlike Dante, I do not for a second believe he’s in hell. Rest in peace is what I’m saying. Poor Pier della Vigna at least deserves that much.

Pier della Vigna is chosen purposely. Torment somebody far enough and they’re gonna want out. Torture them and they’ll beg for the comfort of death. It’s a horrifying thought, but of course it makes sense under extreme circumstances. This is what is behind the whole physician-assisted suicide movement that is slowly gaining traction as some Medieval ideas about death, suffering and suicide finally are just now being put to rest. Well, enough of torment. We all know what it is, and it’s permissible to thank your lucky stars if you’ve escaped it. It still goes on, unfortunately, even in the baddest and most Medieval of terms, but more commonly now, suffering takes on alternate modern guises that we need not go into.

The real point, is that Jarrell suffered pretty much, and I guess I’m not going to accuse B. of dramatizing his own suffering. They were simpatico in that, and they wrote through it anyway, hoping that something of eternal artistic value might redeem it all. B.’s on the verge of joining Jarrell, and filled with the understandable, normal questions. Is it time? What if Dante was right? Is there anything of beauty, love, peace, and comfort left to cling to? I wish someone who knew could come tell me it’s all right, Randall Jarrell, because living is getting hard now, poetry and fame aside, and I’m gonna need to make a decision here eventually.

One more thought about Berryman and this project: Suicide, torment, suffering, fame and a tenuous legacy, doubt about wanting to live on: Nothing could possibly be more alien to me. I bellyache about very real outrages in the messed up world I inhabit, and I also bellyache about smaller things in my life because there are annoyances, setbacks and frustrations, and there is some age coming on which I can’t deny. But my life is still rich, and there is love, respect, good sleep, adventures yet to come, and health enough to enjoy small beauties like jewelwing damselflies living along summer creeks, and the pawpaw fruits I picked, growing wild in the forests hereabouts. They’re so delicious! But every day, I open my book or track down the day’s poem online, and I go with it. If I’m not in sync, that’s okay. I adjust my mental and emotional flow and go with it for awhile, learn something, respect the challenge to myself I laid down, and when I post the blog, as down as this crazy work might have pulled me, I spring upright again. I’m just observing one artist’s life, in all its darkness and shame, and I had no conception of what I was in for when it started. But that’s the amazement of it. Here it is! Are you kidding me? In the end, it will change me, having done all this, but not in obvious ways. It will change me like any journey does: Now I’ve seen something. There’s no going back. I will say this. I did know enough not to expect all wisdom and wonders day in and day out. We’re all basket cases. Famous poets are no different. I’m not learning everything I expected, and I am learning from angles I couldn’t have seen coming. That’s the point. For example, I now know what a terrible end Pier della Vigna met, who I hadn’t thought of since I read Inferno over thirty years ago, and who hadn’t left any impression on me after our fleeting literary encounter whatsoever. But I know now, and now that his torment is over, I think he would bless this momentary engagement with his life, and especially the empathy I feel for him, which having grown, I’ll now extend in any direction I can. I like to think he knows that, if his soul still has any coherence capable of that kind of coherent thought. It might not, not in the way Dante would understand. In thinking about him, though, like B. is thinking of Jarrell, we create their ghosts. The effect on us is actual, not ghostly. It’s quietly amazing.

1 comment: